Recipe by conroyea
Stuffed pepper recipe that is a hit in my house. Fairly easy to prepare, can be a week night, but prefer to do it on a weekend.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup cooked white rice, cooled
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off top 1/2 inch of peppers and reserve.
- Scoop seeds from cavities.
- Discard stems and chop pepper tops.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, parsley, garlic, and pepper pieces.
- Saute until onions soften, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Mix in rice, paprika, salt, pepper, and all spice.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, then beef and egg.
- Fill pepper cavities with beef mixture.
- Stand filled peppers in single layer in heavy large pot.
- Pour remaining 2 cups tomato sauce around peppers.
- Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Spoon some sauce over each pepper.
- Cover and cook until peppers are tender and filling is cooked through and firm, about 20 more minutes.