Recipe by LtlPhyl #2
I found this delightful recipe at AllRecipes.com; shared by Bonnie a number of years ago as I wanted a recipe that did not use instant rice. This one is our family favorite which I have been using for quite a number of years. I hope you might like it as well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup raw long-grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 6 green bell peppers
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef until evenly browned.
- Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.).
- In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper. Mix the remaining tomato sauce and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and pour over the stuffed peppers.
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, basting with sauce every 15 minutes, until the peppers are tender.