Recipe by Cynna
A recipe I adapted for myself
Top Review by Amy Jo in Chicago, IL
This was just the simple recipe I wanted. I actually had some Sicilian gravy in the freezer which I used instead of tomato sauce. I skipped the italian seasoning, too. Reminded me of the peppers we used eat growing up.
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- 3 green bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice and water in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205C) Cut tops off peppers, seed insides, and arrange peppers in a large baking dish.
- Chop usable portion of the tops.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Stir in chopped peppers and onions in oil until soft.
- Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Mix in cooked rice and 1 1/5 cups tomato sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the peppers, and top each with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover, and bake about 45 minutes.
- Uncover, top each pepper with jack cheese, and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.