Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
They serve this in the cafeteria at work and it is the most requested. It is a very hearty and yet low-calorie meal. This recipe makes 8 cups so is great for OAMC, make ahead of time and serve over fresh rice. 1 cup of soup is about 150 calories and 1 cup of rice is approx 200 depending on the type. We usually use a wild rice blend.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked.
- Drain fat from beef and set aside, do not discard the fat.
- Saute the vegetables in the same pan.
- Add water or broth, beef base, ground beef and rendered fat, let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- The longer this soup simmers the better the flavor. Stir in desired amount of rice.
- For OAMC cooking divide soup into 2 cup containers and freeze without adding the rice. When ready to serve thaw and heat soup and serve with fresh rice. (You can probably freeze this with the rice in it just fine we just usually prefer to make the rice fresh.).
This is really delish! We landed up adding basmati rice to the soup and letting it all simmer together until the rice was really soft, and it wasnt a 'soup' anymore but more like a paella! Needed quite a bit of salt for more flavour (used 1 cube of beef stock, maybe thats why). I would also suggest adding 1 more can of tomatoes for a really rich, red looking and tasting soup! Thanks for sharing!
I usually make a recipe at least twice before reviewing it...it's been known to not turn out so well the second time around for some reason. This one has been perfect both times! I used ground venison the second time and it lent great flavor!
This was delicious and came together quickly and easily for me on a very busy day. I didn't have any celery or beef base. Used low sodium beef broth. I used a can of diced tomatoes and a can of crushed tomatoes and lots of black pepper. Didn't have time for rice so just added ramen noodles. Looking forward to the leftovers. Thanks for posting.