They serve this in the cafeteria at work and it is the most requested. It is a very hearty and yet low-calorie meal. This recipe makes 8 cups so is great for OAMC, make ahead of time and serve over fresh rice. 1 cup of soup is about 150 calories and 1 cup of rice is approx 200 depending on the type. We usually use a wild rice blend.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked.
- Drain fat from beef and set aside, do not discard the fat.
- Saute the vegetables in the same pan.
- Add water or broth, beef base, ground beef and rendered fat, let simmer for at least 15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- The longer this soup simmers the better the flavor. Stir in desired amount of rice.
- For OAMC cooking divide soup into 2 cup containers and freeze without adding the rice. When ready to serve thaw and heat soup and serve with fresh rice. (You can probably freeze this with the rice in it just fine we just usually prefer to make the rice fresh.).