Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Stuff bell peppers with meat, rice and mushroom mixture. I usually use a mixture or green, red, yellow and orange. Hope you enjoy!
- 6 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb ground beef (mixture of ground pork, veal and beef)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning (just use whatever is on hand, basil, oregano etc)
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or any kind of cheese you prefer)
- 2 cups pasta sauce (whatever one you like)
- water, as needed
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds and ribs. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle salt inside each pepper, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms browned and tender.
- Add beef and cook until beef browned.
- Drain off excess fat, and season with salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Stir in the tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup broth, sliced olives and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish.
- Pour pasta sauce over the peppers. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.