Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Very tasty and pretty. The rice turns a pretty red, like the beets.
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom, more to taste
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 large beets, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the uncooked rice, shallots, and spices (including salt and pepper to taste); mix well and set aside.
- Use a knife to remove the core and create a hollow for the rice mixture (do not toss the core, it will be used to top the rice).
- Place a spoonful of the rice mixture into each beet and top with the cored portion (don't overstuff, the rice will grow as it cooks).
- Coat a saucepan with oil and place each beet into it, so that they are touching and holding each other upright.
- Cover with water and season with salt; heat over medium heat and cover once it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 30 minutes.