Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Saw this in Paula Deen's magazine "Cooking with Paula" and it looked scumptious, that I posted it for safekeeping. I, also, took the liberty of changing things a bit.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Butterfly the beef tenderloin down the center by cutting the beef lengthwise down the center to within 1/2" of other side. (Or have your butcher do it for you).
- In a medium skillet melt butter or margarine and cook shallots or onion until tender.
- Add mushrooms and wine and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Now, add garlic powder and parsley.
- Make sure it is well incorporated.
- To stuff and roll the tenderloin open the beef and flatten with a meat mallet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mushroom mixture down the center of the tenderloin.
- Bring the two sides of the tenderloin up around filling to meet.
- Use butcher string and tie around the roll at 1" intervals.
- Place roll in roasting pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes for medium rare.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Another variation is in her "Paula Deen Celebrates" and it is all the same up to the garlic. She simply lists salt and pepper and soy sauce and you rub the salt, pepper, and soy sauce inside the meat and then stuff. (I like the soy sauce AND garlic). I want to make this for an occasion. Glad you posted it Di!