Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
In response to a request. Hope you like stuffed peppers....they are yummy
- 8 banana peppers
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- Cut off tops of peppers, and remove stuff inside& seeds.
- Chop edible portions of tops; set aside.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add peppers, reduce heat, and simmer until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet.
- Saute reserved chopped pepper, onion and celery until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and garlic.
- Season with basil, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan.
- Mix in hot sausage, mild sausage, bread crumbs and 1 cup of the tomato sauce mixture.
- Using a piping bag or, fill each pepper with the meat mixture.
- Place in a 3 quart casserole dish, and pour remaining tomato sauce mixture over peppers.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 1 hour.
Excellent, but check the size of the peppers. The ones I used were rather large, I used 10 not 8, and I still had a little left over.