Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious spring dish! Zucchini stuffed with orzo, beets, bell pepper, corn, sausage, fennel, mushrooms, spinach, and more, topped with goat cheese! I made this recipe up for a dinner party and it was a huge hit. I've made it several times since and have not been disappointed. There are plenty of ways to incorporate leftovers and different flavors.
- 3 large zucchini, cut lengthwise and hollowed out with a spoon
- 2 cups orzo pasta, dry
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 ear of corn
- 10 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup beet leaf, diced
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 lb sausage, remove casing
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 cups Baby Spinach, fresh
- 3 teaspoons goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare orzo as instructed on box (rice cooker or stove top).
- Over a medium heat sauté fennel in butter until golden and soft; set aside.
- Over a high heat sear corn in butter until browned; would be better BBQ?d; set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, over a medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Brown mushrooms and onion together. Halfway through browning mushrooms and onions, add sage, rosemary, thyme and beet greens.
- Once mushrooms and onions are browned, add sausage. When sausage is mostly done, add coarsely diced red bell pepper.
- When sausage is done, add fennel, corn, and spinach.
- Turn heat to high and add cooked orzo; cook off excess water.
- Stuff raw, hollowed out zucchini with cooked ingredients and place on a greased pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until zucchini is soft.
- Top with 1/2 teaspoon of goat cheese and enjoy!
- Note: the leftover stuffing makes for an excellent lunch the following day.