Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious and savory stuffing to enhance the wonderful flavor of fresh trout. Serve with a nice side of fresh green beans and warm soda bread, makes a wonderful meal.
- Cook and stir onions and pepper in butter until tender.
- Removed from heat and add gread crumbs, parsley, lemon juice and basil.
- Rub cavities of trout with salt then stuff each with approx 1/4 cup of stuffing.
- Place fish in baking dish
- Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until fish flakes easily. approximately 30 - 35 minutes.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes and parsley if desired.
I had three trout, about 10 to 12 inchers in the freezer I caught some time ago in Iowa, so I thought I better cook up or toss. I must say the stuffing was very good! Didn't change a thing! Bigger fish may have been better, small guys are best suited to pan frying, but this is a "keeper"!
The recipe works very well, easy to follow and very tasty.
I couldn't find a whole fish at the store so I bought a couple of steelhead trout fillets. After making the "stuffing" I spread half of it in my baking dish, placed the fillets on top, and spread the other half of the "stuffing" on top of the fish. Okay I didn't actually "stuff" my fish as directed but this turned out fantastic. The fish was a lovely and the "stuffing" was so full of flavor. It had a nice crunchy top. I will have to try this again when they have whole fish at the store. Thanks for a great meal!