Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This isn't half bad, quite tasty, but you need a stuffing with lots of taste.
- 1 beef heart or 2 veal hearts
- 2 cups stock or 2 cups diluted tomato soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread dressing or 1 1⁄2 cups rice dressing
- Tie the heart with string.
- Place it on a rack in an oven proof dish.
- Place in bottom of the dish the stock or diluted tomato soup.
- Place over the heart the bacon strips.
- Cover the dish closely and bake the heart in a moderate oven 325°F until tender, sometimes if beef, a matter of 3-5 hours, if veal about 2 hours.
- Remove heart to a plate and cool it slightly.
- Heat, then fill the cavity with 1 1/2 cups bread dressing or rice dressing.
- Sprinkle the heart with paprika.
- Return it briefly to hot oven 400°F or place it under a broiler to reheat.
- The drippings may be thickened with flour to make gravy.