Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another one from Ms. Ray, only slightly altered. This is such an easy dessert and terrific topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream...or both! *Be sure to a dish with sides as this can get rather saucy!
- 4 large fuji apples or 4 large granny smith apples, cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄8 cup raisins, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts or pecans)
- Sprinkle cored apples with lemon juice.
- Mix next 7 ingredients and pack stuffing into center of cored apples. Don't worry if it spills over the top -- heap it on!
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Transfer apples to small bowls with a spoon and top with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
Very disappointed in this recipe. I had medium size apples but they we hard after the 20 minutes at 420 degrees. The 420 made some of the stuffing hard and hadf a little burned flavor. I would suggest reducing temp to 375-350 and increase the time to 40-45 minutes. I may make it again with changes because it is easy to make.
From a centuries old fruit to a multi-million dollar company. Gotta admire the way the apple keeps reinventing its self. Made for An Apple A Day Tag.