Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Source: Roasting by Sonia Stevenson. (c) 2004. Ryland, Peters & Small: NYC & London.
- 6 (8 ounce) squash (small, round type, e.g., acorn squash)
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- olive oil, for spraying or brushing
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- To make the squash --.
- Cut the tops off the squash and set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and pith.
- Season the cavity and let drain upside down.
- Stuff the cavity with the roasted vegetables (can be made ahead of time) -- see steps 9-21 below.
- Top with the lids and brush or spray with a little olive oil.
- Return to the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- To make the stuffing (can be done ahead of time) --.
- Halve and seed the bell peppers, then cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Put the peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a roasting pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 30 min to dry and char them.
- Turn them so they cook evenly.
- When ready to use, drizzle with vinaigrette (see steps 17-21 below) and stuff into squash shells.
- To make the vinaigrette (can be done ahead of time) --.
- Mix the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, giner, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour over the vegetables.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Stuff into squash shells.