Recipe by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
This dish can be served as a starter with a salad. But I personally think it goes exceptionally well with a roast leg of lamb!!
Top Review by Cookin'Diva
This recipe is an adventure - all items are fresh, which means there is a bit of prep involved, but the result is an incredibly flavorful dish. We enjoyed the robust flavor and the pretty presentation. Hope you like the photos!
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, torn
- 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 200 g mozzarella cheese, drained and chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, finely grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 basil leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/180°C.
- Wipe the aubergine and trim off the stalk end.
- Cut it lengthways into 8 thin slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- When you get to the bulbous sides, chop these into small pieces and keep aside for the filling.
- Arrange the slices of aubergine side by side on an oiled baking tray, then brush each slice lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put them into the oven on a high shelf and let them roast for 15 minutes, till they have softened to roll them up easily.
- In a bowl, place the tomatoes and pour boiling water on the tomatoes and after 1 minute drain and slip the skins off.
- Cut each tomato in half and gently squeeze the seeds out (discard the seeds) and then roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, chopped aubergine and grated garlic for about 5-10 minutes till softened.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, torn basil leaves and the sun-dried tomato paste and give it all a good stir and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the capers and season with salt and pepper giving it all a good mix.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- When the aubergine slices are cool enough to handle, spread an equal amount of the stuffing all over the slices followed by the chopped mozzarella leaving a border all round to allow expansion.
- Roll up the slices and put them in a greased baking dish, overlapping ends tucked underneath.
- Brush each roll with oil.
- Combine the fresh breadcrumbs and grated parmesan and sprinkle the mixture on top of the aubergine rolls.
- Brush the basil leaves with oil and place on top of each roll.
- Bake in the centre shelf of the oven for about 20-25 minutes till the breadcrumbs and cheese are golden-browned and serve immediately.