Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These cabbage rolls are meat-free, easy-to-make, and delicious! The recipe came from a cookbook called "Stand By Your Pan: Country Music Cookbook" by Diane Pfeifer. Her funny alternative country-music-inspired title for the recipe is "Wabash Cabbage Balls" :)
- Cut the core out of the cabbage. Chop the mushrooms and walnuts.
- Microwave cabbage (uncovered) for 5 minutes, Set aside.
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of the vegetable broth according to package directions. Saute the chopped mushrooms, onion, and walnuts in the margarine for about 5 minutes. Stir mixture into the cooked rice.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Heat the remaining 2 cups vegetable broth in a small pan. Add sesame oil and cornstarch/water mixture; heat and stir until slightly thickened. Season with white pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in 13x9 casserole dish.
- Peel outer leaves off of the cabbage. Fill each with 2-3 tablespoons of the rice mixture. Fold sides over and roll up leaf. Place seam side down in the prepared casserole dish.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the cabbage rolls. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Yum! I halved the recipe and used pecans instead of walnuts. I did add some nutritional yeast and a little more broth to make the amount of sauce I wanted. A good starting point too, maybe next time will add a few more veggies. Thanks! Made for PRMR game.