Recipe by Manami
"This gorgeous dish was created by Harpo Studios' own Executive Chef Seth Roth and Chef de Cuisine Bryan Devlin. Seth and Bryan are Harpo's in-house chefs, providing Oprah and her employees with a delicious variety of dishes, like these stuffed artichokes, each day." Oprah.com/food/recipes. We loved them! We also added a little red pepper flakes, we felt it needed the kick! ;)
- 4 lbs artichokes (approx. 4 whole artichokes)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (canned or done at home)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole capers
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 -3 cups white wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean the artichokes.
- Trim the bottom leaves and cut off the leaf tips as you go further up the artichoke.
- Slice off the top inch of the artichoke and clean the center, scraping away any of the prickly & purple, inedible part called the choke.
- Place the artichokes in a non-metal (preferably glass) bowl, and cover with water and the juice of a lemon to prevent browning.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on the stove or in the microwave.
- The artichokes are done when a knife slides easily into the bottom. Let cool.
- Slice off the bottom stem of the artichokes and stand them upright in a Pyrex dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped red pepper, eggs, prosciutto, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, capers and oregano.
- Stuff the mixture in the center and around the leaves of each artichoke.
- Fill the dish with white wine about 1/4 of the way up the artichokes and cover with foil. (You may substitute stock or water.).
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and increase the heat to 500°F, baking the artichokes until the tops are browned.
- Serve with a parsley and Parmesan garnish.