Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
"This gorgeous dish was created by Harpo Studios' own Executive Chef Seth Roth and Chef de Cuisine Bryan Devlin. Seth and Bryan are Harpo's in-house chefs, providing Oprah and her employees with a delicious variety of dishes, like these stuffed artichokes, each day." Oprah.com/food/recipes. We loved them! We also added a little red pepper flakes, we felt it needed the kick! ;)
- 4 lbs artichokes (approx. 4 whole artichokes)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper (canned or done at home)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole capers
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 -3 cups white wine
- salt and pepper
- Clean the artichokes.
- Trim the bottom leaves and cut off the leaf tips as you go further up the artichoke.
- Slice off the top inch of the artichoke and clean the center, scraping away any of the prickly & purple, inedible part called the choke.
- Place the artichokes in a non-metal (preferably glass) bowl, and cover with water and the juice of a lemon to prevent browning.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on the stove or in the microwave.
- The artichokes are done when a knife slides easily into the bottom. Let cool.
- Slice off the bottom stem of the artichokes and stand them upright in a Pyrex dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped red pepper, eggs, prosciutto, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, capers and oregano.
- Stuff the mixture in the center and around the leaves of each artichoke.
- Fill the dish with white wine about 1/4 of the way up the artichokes and cover with foil. (You may substitute stock or water.).
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and increase the heat to 500°F, baking the artichokes until the tops are browned.
- Serve with a parsley and Parmesan garnish.