Cook1 hr 45 mins
This is a really great appetizer. You can prepare the whole thing in advance, cover and refrigerate, until it's time to bake and serve.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 7 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced finely
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 large canned artichoke bottoms or 24 large frozen artichoke bottoms
- 2 cups beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients except for the artichoke bottoms and the beef broth.
- Divide and mound the meat mixture on the artichoke bottoms, about 4 tablespoons each.
- In a well greased baking pan, place the filled artichokes, filled side up, in one layer.
- Pour the broth over the whole thing.
- Bake, lightly covered with foil, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes, until browned.
- Serve hot.
Great recipe base but I needed more kick, so I added cumin and some Cayenne and it was perfect. Thanks Mirj!
What an easy appetizer! I halved the recipe, using canned artichoke bottoms, tomato sauce for the tomato puree. This came together quickly and easily (my two favorite things). These were delicious and the aroma while cooking will make you drool! I only had to cook these 1 hour and they may would have been done at 45 minutes because they were a tad bit dry, cooking for 1 hour. Next time, I may do a few things differently, such as add more tomato sauce, shape the mixture flatter instead of like a meatball and top with a cheese at the end of baking. I also think the meat mixture is a great meatloaf recipe and I am so glad I discovered atichoke bottoms! Made for Cameraless Chef game 2008 Thanks Mirj!