Cook1 hr 45 mins
This is a really great appetizer. You can prepare the whole thing in advance, cover and refrigerate, until it's time to bake and serve.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 7 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced finely
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced finely
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 large canned artichoke bottoms or 24 large frozen artichoke bottoms
- 2 cups beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients except for the artichoke bottoms and the beef broth.
- Divide and mound the meat mixture on the artichoke bottoms, about 4 tablespoons each.
- In a well greased baking pan, place the filled artichokes, filled side up, in one layer.
- Pour the broth over the whole thing.
- Bake, lightly covered with foil, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes, until browned.
- Serve hot.