Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I saved this recipe from Cooking Live from the Food Network several years ago. Although it takes a little time it is well worth it.
- 6 large artichokes
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil, plus more for stuffing
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cubed
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can pitted black olives, chopped
- Cut off stems of artichokes and set aside.
- Cut off top of artichoke leaves, creating a flat top. Cut thorns off top of each leaf on artichoke. Gently stretch artichoke from inside to create hole for stuffing.
- Cut away little purple/white thorny leaves in center. Peel away outer skin of stems so that it is fresh all around. Chop stems into small cubes for stuffing.
- In a large bowl drizzle olive oil over bread cubes until they're moist. Add salt & pepper, chopped onion and garlic, sliced olives and chopped stems. Work together with hands. Check olive oil content by squeezing stuffing into a ball in your hand. If it sticks together, there's enough oil, if not, add more.
- Stuff mixture tightly into center of artichokes -- as tightly as possible.
- In a large stove top pot (ie. Dutch Oven) add water half way up artichokes.
- Artichokes should be firmly together in pan. Add salt and 1 1/2 cups of extra virgin olive oil to water.
- Make certain water is high enough but not beyond half way. Bring water to a slow boil in covered pot. Baste leaves around stuffing with broth from the pan every 15 to 20 minutes for approximately 3 hours. When outside leaves are tender they're done.
- Before removing from pan, baste stuffing one last time, then pack down stuffing with a fork.
- Serve with a little bit of broth in bottom of bowl.
This is really great. I've made it myself.. I use more garlic though, preference. Thanks for posting!