Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the way Grandma made them, I prefer them to any I've ever had in a restaurant. Be sure to use freshly grated cheese.
- 4 large artichokes
- 3⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Cut off stems of artichokes so they will sit level. Cut off ends so that top is flat. Spread leaves and clean inside.
- Mix bread crumbs, cheese, garlic powder and parsley in bowl. Stuff artichokes with mixture, making sure to get some into the outer leaves.
- Place artichokes in a large pot. Fill with water about halfway up to the top of the artichokes.
- Pour 1 tsp olive oil over top of each artichoke.
- Cook covered over medium heat until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally with the water. If needed, add more water during cooking.
Delicious! Used about half the oil and cheese to lighten it a bit. Also added quite a lot of lemon juice. To save on time, I pressure cooked these -- for about 15 minutes (in the pressure cooker basket). These would be perfect for Thanksgiving!