Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted by request. Prep time is an estimate.
- 1 rack of veal or 1 other veal roast (6-bone)
- 1 cup cooked spinach, chopped
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 lb italian genoa salami, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- In a bowl combine the spinach with the egg yolks, ricotta, bread crumbs, salami, garlic and 1 tsp each salt and black pepper.
- Mix well until as smooth as possible.
- Set aside.
- Make a pocket in the rack for the stuffing.
- To do this use a very sharp knife to make an incision in the center of the eye of the rack.
- Push the knife tip in and insert the knife the entire length of the rack but do not let it come out the other side.
- Remove the knife and insert the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Work the spoon handle back and forth to create a pocket that runs from one end of the rack to the other.
- Place the stuffing into a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.
- Insert the pastry bag in the pocket of veal and gently squeeze the bag.
- This would probably work just as well using a ziploc bag with one of the tips snipped off.
- Use the wooden spoon you used to make your pocket to push the stuffing down as far as it will go.
- Work the stuffing down into the meat until it reaches the unopened end of the rack.
- Continue to alternate between the bag and the plunging wooden spoon and fill the veal completely.
- When the rack is ready to cook rub it with the olive oil and season with 1 Tbs each salt and black pepper.
- Place the rack into a roasting pan and cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F and cook and additional 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- A meat thermometer should read 150 degrees F.
- before you remove it from the oven.
- Let rest for 20 minutes before carving.