Recipe by Boyz 5
This recipe has become our traditional Christmas morning breakfast.... Assemble this delicious French-toast casserole the night before, and while everyone is opening presents on Christmas morning, pop it into the oven for a special, fuss-free breakfast that's ready in no time at all!
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf challah (I use French bread) or 1 loaf egg bread, cut into 3/4 -thick slices (I use French bread)
- confectioners' sugar (icing sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cheese, pecans, brown sugar, syrup and 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon;reserve.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla.
- Reserve 2 bread slices. Spread one side of each remaining bread slice with cheese mixture; layer at an angle in 13" by 9" well-greased baking dish, cheese-side up, ending with reserved plain bread slices.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over slices.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Remove plastic wrap.
- Combine remaining granulated sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over slices.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and egg mixture is set.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar just before serving.