Found this recipe in a very old cookbook. Somewhat tweaked this recipe, and have tried it. Worth trying.
- Invert squash in a greased 15x10x1 baking pan.
- Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/4 inch.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Cool, and when cool enough, to handle scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch shell. ( There should be about 3 cups).
- Place shells cut side up in a greased 15x10x1 baking pan, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pulp, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Dissolve bouillon in the 2 tablespoons water, and add to squash mixture.
- In a small saucepan, saute onion and beef in butter until tender, then stir in the stuffing mix.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of this for topping, and add remaining stuffing mixture to the squash mixture.
- Bake at uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until heated through.