Top Review by lolablitz
Unexpectedly awesome! To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about the broc & cheese flavored rice paired with apples...but it is really really good! And weirdly good :) I used sweet italian sausage because they didn't have turkey sausage at the grocery - and I would probably use it again. The strong flavors of the sweet italian sausage are nicely balanced by the apple/coriander and the broc and cheese rice just makes it awesome! I am SO glad I made this recipe and will definitely make it again! You are very good at this, LikeItLoveIt :)
ETA: I made this tonight in the oven. Put acorn squash and a butternut in a pyrex with water. Cooked for 45 minutes at 350/375, took out and filled with the mixture and cooked another 20 minutes (an extra 10 for the butternut). Yum
- 1 (6 ounce) package broccoli and cheese flavored rice mix
- 1 medium acorn squash, seeds scooped out of center
- 1 lb turkey sausage, browned
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare rice according to package directions; cover and set aside.
- Microwave squash for 5 minutes; cut in half.
- In a large bowl combine the sausage, apple, coriander and reserved rice and mix well.
- Stuff each squash half with mixture (there will be some mixture left over).
- Cover stuffed squash halves with plastic wrap and microwave until squash is cooked through and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Top with cheese and reheat for 1 minute, then serve.