Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A great way to use up extra squash in the fall. This recipe is from Emeril.
- 4 medium acorn squash, halved and cleaned
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 4 cups basic tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1⁄2 lb rigatoni pasta, cooked until tender, tossed in olive oil and cooled
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the squash with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet, flesh side up and add 1/2 cup water to the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, brown the sausage and onions, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the sausage and onions with the tomato sauce, pasta, and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into the cavity of each squash.
- Place the filled squashes on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake until the squash is heated through and the cheese melts, about 20 minutes.
- Place the filled squash in the center of each plate.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Tomato Sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet and sauti onions, garlic, salt, and white pepper 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil; cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock and 18 turns black pepper; simmer 2 minutes.
- Season with sugar if acidic and cook 1 minute.