Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- nonstick spray coating
- 2 small acorn squash (about 2 pounds total)
- 12 ounces ground lean pork or 12 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- Spray a shallow baking pan with nonstick coating.
- Wash and halve squash; discard seeds.
- Place squash, cut sides down, in prepared baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 dregree oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for stuffing, in a large skillet cook ground pork or turkey, celery, and onion until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in salt, curry powder, and cinnamon; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in applesauce and bread cubes.
- Turn squash cut sides up in pan.
- Spoon stuffing into squash halves.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes more.
We LOVE this recipe. However, we are vegan so we made a modification, in that we use crumbled TVP (with a little "no-chicken" bouillon). And I agree... it could use just a tad more of the seasonings - but SO good!
This was pretty good although I think it could use a bit more curry powder. I used a fresh oatmeal bread, but it could have used the 'heft' of a denser/coarser wheat bread.