Great vegetarian version of stuffed acorn squash, full of stuff most people would have in the fridge.
- 1 large acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup muenster cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cut squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Rub the cut flesh with salt and place flesh side down in a baking dish and bake for about 35 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, sauté onion in butter until clear and add chopped broccoli florets, mushrooms and celery.
- Sauté about 4 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts and fresh basil, then sprinkle with brown sugar and soy sauce, adjust seasoning to taste. Toss to mix well.
- Check baking squash with a fork to see if it glides through the flesh.
- Stuff with vegetable mixture, top with equal amounts of grated cheese and return to oven for about 5 minutes.
- NOTES : Baked acorn squash halves stuffed with sautéed broccoli, cheese and walnuts.