Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
A different way to prepare acorn squash from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup American cheese (or your choice) or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (or your choice)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake squash about 35 minutes, or until tender; reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the center, leaving shells about 1/4" thick.
- Discard seeds and membranes; mash the pulp and combine with remaining ingredients, using seasonings to taste.
- Pile this mixture into the squash shells and place in oven to brown the tops.