Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother found this recipe in a Jewish cookbook but decided to alter it by add hamburger to make it a full meal item.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1 apple, peeled & diced
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stab squash a few times with a fork. Cook in microwave approximately 4 minutes.
- Cut squash in half. Remove the seeds from the inside.
- Place cut side down in a baking dish with water. Bake 30 minutes (or until soft) in oven. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Brown hamburger in saute pan; remove & drain.
- Once squash has cooled a little, scoop out the squash "meat" from the shell. Save the shells.
- In a bowl, mix meat, apple, raisins, and squash.
- Add seasonings (to taste) and then stuff the squash shells. (Extra filling may be placed in a baking dish.).
- Top with brown sugar and melted margarine.
- Bake 30 minutes until top is brown & apples are soft.