Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Adapted from Pan American's Complete Round the World Cookbook. I recommend using a meat thermometer.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 beef rib roast (6-8 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb sliced bacon, partially cooked, drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 tomatoes
- water, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine garlic, salt, pepper and flour.
- Rub mixture into meat.
- Melt butter in a large roasting pan on the top of the stove (make sure it is both stovetop- and oven-safe).
- Add onions and meat.
- Brown meat well on all sides.
- Place bacon strips on top of meat and secure with toothpicks.
- Pour the wine over the meat.
- Roast about 2 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and tomatoes.
- A small amount of water may be added to prevent scorching.
- Continue to roast until desired degree of doneness is reached, about 30-45 minutes for rare.