Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
My otherwise highly creative husband made this mushroom gravy tonight for a roast, but his recipe-naming skills lack somewhat. Actually, he shares my sense of humor. Tweaked! ;) Best served over roast beast.
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 tablespoon savory
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the mushrooms in the olive oil until they're crisp on both sides, on medium-high heat, with salt and pepper added. Don’t stir during the first few minutes so the mushrooms will have a chance to caramelize. Set aside.
- In the same pan, melt 1/2 tbsp butter and fry the shallot and garlic briefly over medium heat. Add the herbs and the rest of the butter and stir until nicely mixed. Whisk in the flour and turn up the heat slightly.
- Add the wine, starting with about half a cup and keep whisking and adding wine until it's the desired consistency for sauce/gravy.
- Add the mushrooms and any juices from the beef you've hopefully cooked to "wear" this gravy - stir to combine before serving.