Recipe by Trudy Hobbs
This is a rich beef stew full of flavor. Serve it with potatoes and courgettes (zucchini) for a delightful dinner.
- 2 lbs rump steak, top rump,cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup flour, with salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces bacon
- 1 whole onion, thinly sliced rings
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat the beef cubes in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish.
- The dish must be flame proof.
- Add the bacon pieces and fry until they are crisp.
- Transfer them to kitchen towels to drain.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery to the casserole and fry until the onion is soft.
- Add the beef cubes and fry until evenly browned.
- Stir in the marjoram and bacon, and pour over the wine and stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer the stew, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Moisten the meat with a little more stock if it becomes too dry.
- The stew is done when the beef is tender and the sauce very thick and dark.
- Serve at once.