Recipe by YummySmellsca
A Moroccan - inspired coiled brioche dough made with a cinnamon, honey and orange-blossom water butter is filled with a swirl of honeyed cranberries and pecans.
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2⁄3 cup recently fed sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange flower water (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup cinnamon-honey butter (I used Scented Cinnamon-Honey Butter)
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup diced pecans
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup semolina, for dusting
- 2 egg yolks, beaten with 2 tbsp water, for egg wash
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the sourdough starter and flavourings, mixing well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in well.
- Add the butter in small pieces, beating it in gradually. Continue beating until the dough is smooth and shiny, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Cover and let rise until puffy, about 1 ½ hours.
- Filling and Assembly:.
- Line a greased 10” springform pan with parchment and dust the bottom with semolina flour.
- Punch down and roll out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle about 9 inches wide and 3 feet long. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine craisins, pecans, honey and egg white.
- Sprinkle the surface of the dough with the filling mixture.
- Beginning with a long edge, roll the dough into a log.
- Spiral the log into pan or other deep, round pan, tucking the end into the middle.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until very puffy, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush the risen loaf with the egg wash.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until its internal temperature is at least 190ºF on an instant-read thermometer. Check after 20 minutes and tent with foil if it's browning too quickly.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then gently unmould onto a rack to cool completely.