Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I got this recipe from Womans day mag.
- 3 egg whites, only
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring, liquid
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Position racks to divide oven in thirds. Heat to 225°F You'll need 2 baking sheets lined with nonstick foil.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form whm beaters are lifted.
- On high speed, gradually add sugar and beat about 8 minutes until stiff, white, glossy peaks form and mixture no longer feels grainy. Beat in almond extract and food color until throughly blended.
- Spoon into large ziptop bag, snip 1/2 in off 1 corner and pipe 72 small mounds (each about 1 in across) 1 in apart on baking sheets.
- Bake 1 3/4 hour or until meringues feel firm. Turn off oven: leave meringue in oven 1 hour or overnight until kisses are dry and crisp all the way through. Peel off foil.
- Shortly before serving: Put 1/4 tsp jam on bottom of 1 meringue; sandwich with another meringue. Repeat with remaining meringues and jam.