Recipe by Kater
This is my favorite potato soup recipe - very easy and quick. I always end up at least doubling the recipe and there's never much left! I think I must have found this recipe in a newspaper somewhere, but I'm not sure!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup finely sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup substitute low-fat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes, being careful not to brown the onions.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually add chicken broth.
- Add potatoes, salt, basil, white and black pepper, Tabasco and garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half& half; heat through.
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, cooked& crumbled bacon, a dollop of sour cream and finely sliced green onion.