Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my favorite potato soup recipe - very easy and quick. I always end up at least doubling the recipe and there's never much left! I think I must have found this recipe in a newspaper somewhere, but I'm not sure!
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup finely sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup substitute low-fat milk
- Melt butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes, being careful not to brown the onions.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually add chicken broth.
- Add potatoes, salt, basil, white and black pepper, Tabasco and garlic salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half& half; heat through.
- Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, cooked& crumbled bacon, a dollop of sour cream and finely sliced green onion.
This tastes amazingly close to the real deal! It is SO good! I've made this several times. It's the only soup my hunny will eat! Making it for him tonight .Thanks for the recipe!
Just like the real deal!
I absolutely LOVE potatoe soup. The Black Angus is my favorite restaurant, but we don't live anywhere near one now:( I would say this is an amazing recipe. It tastes very much like the soup from the restaurant..bu the only thing missing was the delicious bread they serve too! The white pepper is what makes the recipe so good!