Recipe by Richard-NYC
A very traditional very humble Italian holiday treat
Top Review by Dee514
Richard, I made the struffoli today and they came out very good! I did have a bit of trouble with the stickiness of the dough, however that prob was solved by keeping my hands floured. Thanks again for the recipe :)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Wesson Oil
- brown paper bag
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- colored little candy sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs until light.
- Add all dry ingredients and blend well.
- Knead until dough forms a smooth surface.
- Roll dough out on floured board with floured rolling pin to a 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- Pinch off 1/2 inch pieces.
- Pour oil in large heavy frying pan until about 2" deep.
- Heat oil until a small piece of dough bubbles and rises to surface quickly.
- Do not overheat.
- Place cut pieces of dough onto slotted spoon and lower into oil.
- When the dough puffs up and is slightly browned remove with slotted spoon and put fried morsels into a"doubled" brown paper bag to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat using all the dough---Note: sometimes the oil will froth--give the oil a stir--do not let the oil get too hot or they will burn.
- When all dough is fried place morsels into a new"doubled" brown paper bag--place bag near heat source to coax out as much oil as possible---leave over night.
- Next day put struffoli in a new"doubled" and shake shake shake.
- Heat honey in large heavy pot stir in vanila.
- Slowly pour struffoli into honey stir to coat.
- Spoon onto serving plate and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.