Recipe by Phil Franco
You will find a number of variations on this recipe. Here is one way that is popular.
- 2 cups flour, Sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup honey
- rainbow dot candy sprinkles (Multi-Colored)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat at least 2" of cooking oil in a pan until its very hot. Place flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well (indentation) in the center of flour and add the eggs one at a time, mixing slightly after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and mix well to make a soft dough. Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and elastic.
- Divide dough into halves and lightly roll each half 1/4 inch thick to form a rectangle. Cut dough with a pastry cutter into strips 1/4" wide. Use the palm of your hand to roll strips to pencil thickness. Cut into pieces about 1/4" to 1/2" long.
- Fry only as many pieces of dough as will float one layer deep for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Drain before removing, and then place on several paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- In a different pan heat the honey until it is hot. Add in the drained fried dough pieces. Stir constantly until all pieces are coated. Remove, place in a glass bowl and keep it in the refrigerator to cool slightly. Remove and sprinkle with the sprinkles!