Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
My grandmother's recipe.
Make and share this Strudels (German Dumplings) recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- flour, to thicken
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 44.37 ml lard
- Mix water, salt, baking powder and flour to form dough.
- Knead dough on floured surface until elastic.
- Set aside and cover with wax paper for approximately 20 minutes.
- Roll dough out with rolling pin until it's as thin as you can make it.
- Rub a small amount of oil on top.
- Pull dough out, starting on edges.
- When it's pulled thin, stretch it out on the counter and anchor it on the ends (with water glasses or bowls).
- Flip it lengthwise 3 or 4 times into 1" wide strips.
- Slice off strip and cut into 2" pieces.
- Repeat until no more dough is left.
- Heat 1 tablespoon lard in frying pan at maximum heat and then turn down to setting 4.
- Fry dough in lard, adding lard as needed.
- Remove and let stand in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon lard in large pot on setting 6.
- Add onions and saute until they start to brown, then add potatoes.
- Add water to cover potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered until potatoes are half cooked (approximately 15 minutes).
- Add 2" water and bring to boil.
- Add dough pieces and cook covered for 1/2 hour on setting 4.
Thank you so much. This is the recipe I have been looking for.<br/>Carol