Rhonda Scheurer's Note:
My grandmother's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix water, salt, baking powder and flour to form dough.
- 2Knead dough on floured surface until elastic.
- 3Set aside and cover with wax paper for approximately 20 minutes.
- 4Roll dough out with rolling pin until it's as thin as you can make it.
- 5Rub a small amount of oil on top.
- 6Pull dough out, starting on edges.
- 7When it's pulled thin, stretch it out on the counter and anchor it on the ends (with water glasses or bowls).
- 8Flip it lengthwise 3 or 4 times into 1" wide strips.
- 9Slice off strip and cut into 2" pieces.
- 10Repeat until no more dough is left.
- 11Heat 1 tablespoon lard in frying pan at maximum heat and then turn down to setting 4.
- 12Fry dough in lard, adding lard as needed.
- 13Remove and let stand in a bowl.
- 14Heat 1 tablespoon lard in large pot on setting 6.
- 15Add onions and saute until they start to brown, then add potatoes.
- 16Add water to cover potatoes, salt and pepper.
- 17Cook covered until potatoes are half cooked (approximately 15 minutes).
- 18Add 2" water and bring to boil.
- 19Add dough pieces and cook covered for 1/2 hour on setting 4.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strudels (German Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.7
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 813.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g