Recipe by Rita~
This is filled with a Rich Creamy Cheese, Pistachio,Almond and a Raisin mixture.
Top Review by Linda's Busy Kitchen
The recipe does not tell you how long to bake it, only says to set the oven to 375. After rising for 1/2 hr. I baked in the preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes. Use this as a guide when you make yours, but start watching it at 30 in case your oven bakes hot. The flavor of the strudel was awesome, and I really loved the nuts!!! I will make this time and again now that I have it. Made for Newest Zaar Tag 2/09 Linda
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons rapid-rise active dry yeast
- 8 ounces cream cheese (or farmers cheese)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 lemons, zest of or 1 orange, zest of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, re-hydrated in water (Dried Cranberries, Dried blueberries are great choice as well)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds (finely crushed almond cookies works)
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour dough ingredients into bread machine.
- Keep the yeast, salt and sugar separate. According to you machine directions.
- Set on dough cycle.
- Mean while mix the cheese, yolks, zest, and vanilla. Stir in the pistachio and raisins. Chill till ready to use.
- Grease baking sheet pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- When dough cycle is finished, place to dough on a lightly powdered sugared surface.
- Punch down dough and roll into 2 - 14 by 10 inch rectangle.
- Brush each dough with melted butter and sprinkle with almonds.
- Spread 1/2 the cheese mixture leaving an edge.
- Roll into 2 jelly rolls.
- Place on baking sheet pan cover with plastic wrap and rise for 30 minutes.
- Egg wash the tops and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and or nuts.
- Serve warm.