1/1 Photo of Structural Gingerbread House Dough
1 hr 30 mins
Amy Martin KV's Note:
While edible, this gingerbread house dough recipe is "structural." It has no leaveners that would make it puff up and distort the shapes, and it's firm so it can support lots of decorations. This recipe uses no expensive spices and has only five ingredients. I found this recipe online and am posting it here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat corn syrup, brown sugar and margarine until margarine has melted and sugar has dissolved completely. Stir until smooth.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add syrup-sugar-margarine mixture. Mix well.
- 3Wrap the dough in plastic and let it rest at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 4Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll out the dough 1/4-inch thick onto a sheet of parchment cut to fit your baking pan.
- 5Lightly flour the cardboard patterns and place them on the rolled-out dough, leaving a 1-inch space between pieces. Try to fit as many as you can without crowding. For clean edges, cut with a pizza wheel. Remove and reserve excess dough. Reroll dough scraps for the remainder of the pieces.
- 6Grab the opposite edges of the parchment paper and transfer to the baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until pieces are firm and lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely before removing from pans.
- 7This recipe can easily be increased, if you want to make it a project for several kids by doubling or even tripling the ingredients. Instead of measuring out the flour, for a double recipe, use 1 (5-pound) bag plus 1 cup flour. For a triple recipe, use two (5-pound) bags plus 2 cups flour.
Browse Our Top Kid-Friendly Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Structural Gingerbread House Dough
Serving Size: 1 (2360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9118.7
- Calories from Fat 2142
- Total Fat 238.0 g
- Saturated Fat 48.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3949.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1655.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.3 g
- Sugars 486.6 g
- Protein 119.1 g