Recipe by mollypaul
Spicily sweet. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups molasses
- 5 cups flour (amount is approximate)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses.
- Sift two cups of the flour with the remaining dry ingredients very well.
- Add to the first mixture.
- Add enough more flour to allow handling.
- Roll out and cut with a floured cookie cutter and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for ten to twelve minutes.
- Place on a cooling rack.