Prep 30 mins
Cook 1080 hrs
Okay, I can't wait and like it strong, smooth, and sweet. LOL I looked at tons of recipes and this is what I came up with and I love it! So did some limoncello perfectionists I actually was brave enough to let try my concoction! I was so proud I had to share. It is a sweet liqueur you can sip on or add to anything. We prefer chilled and sipped with friends or family.
- Wash the lemons well.
- Using a potato peeler cut away the nice yellow zest leaving behind the white pith. Place the zest into a 1 gallon glass jar.
- Now take the lemons and slice the tips off and down the center. Core using a v cut in the center and remove the seeds.
- Place this half face down and then peel off all the white pith leaving behind a nice cored and peeled lemon half. Now slice and put with your zest into the jar.
- When all the lemons are done this way and in the jar pour over them 8 cups of vodka.
- Set in a dark corner where you won't forget it for five days. Stir twice a day gently. A chopstick works well or wooden spoon. Stay away from metal.
- After the five days, add the sugar to the jar and stir well.
- Now let it set stirring gently each day for at least 3 weeks a month is better. The sugar will take a few weeks to dissolve well. This is fine.
- At this point you can strain and bottle or let it sit longer, up to six months sipping off the top. It will thicken with time and gain flavor like any good liqueur.
- It is excellent strained, chilled, and sipped.