Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off of Cooking Live. You can mix and match the toppings as you wish. It is a fast and easy dinner. I make the pizza dough in my bread machine, but you can buy it pre-made.
- 1⁄2 basic pizza dough
- 5 ounces sliced ham
- 5 ounces pepperoni, sliced thinly
- 1 (10 ounce) box button mushrooms, sliced and sauteed or 2 cans mushrooms
- 2 large red peppers, sliced and roasted
- 1 large onion, sliced and roasted
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano,etc.)
- cornmeal, for pizza paddle
- Preheat oven with pizza stone in it to 450 degrees.
- If you don't have a stone a baking sheet will do.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface.
- Useing a rolling pin roll dough into a 10 x 14 inch rectangle.
- Cover the rectangle with layers of your desired toppings, leaving a 1 inch border around the sides and at the top.
- Mix the 3 cheeses and the herbs together in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top.
- Starting at the end closest to you, roll the stromboli into a log.
- Seal the dough by pinching firmly with fingertips on sides and ends.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal on a pizza paddle and put stromboli on the paddle.
- Make sure the seam is on the bottom.
- Use a pastry brush or a mister to apply olive oil.
- Carefully place stromboli on preheated stone, turn down oven to 400 degrees and bake for 35 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
This is a fantastic recipe that makes perfect stromobli. Ours needed only 30 minutes in the oven. We made 3 of these for company the other night, using balls of pizza dough bought from the supermarket.
The first one was a plain cheese - mozzarella and parmesan (and a sprinkle of italian seasoning and garlic powder).
The second one was ham, pepperoni, sauteed onions and home made roasted red pepper with mozzarella, provolone and parmesan cheeses (also with italian seasoning and garlic powder).
The third had spinach sauteed with lemon juice (very well squeezed out), roasted eggplant chopped up, sauteed onions, and feta, provolone, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses (same seasonings).
We used the marinara at the table for dipping so that the inside of the stromboli didn't get soggy.
This is an excellent base recipe to add your own topping preference to! They were loved by the little kids and adults alike!
Very yummy. I filled ours with hamburger, pepperoni, sauteed green peppers & onions. I also added some marinara sauce, which was a definite must. Stromboli was perfect! Only needed baked for 25 minutes. I think 35 would have destroyed it.
Wonderful recipe. I sautéed onion, bell pepper and mushroom together for the stromboli. Topped with ham, pepperoni, mozzerella, provolone, fresh thyme, basil and parsley. Wrapped everything with a Philsbury thin pizza crust. It was delicious! Will make it again. Thanks for the recipe!