1/2 Photos of Stromboli
3 hrs 20 mins
Emeril Lagasse's recipe for home made Stromboli.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the dough
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced seeded and stemmed jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 lb sliced ham
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced pepperoni or 1/4 lb salami
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 5To make the Stromboli:.
- 6Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- 7In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool.
- 8Punch down the dough and divide half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches. Spread half of the cooled sausage mixture across the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Overlapping slightly, layer half of the ham, pepperoni, olives, provolone and mozzarella cheeses over the top. Using a pastry brush, paint the border of 1 long edge with egg wash. Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up the dough into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Let the dough rise, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 9Brush the top of each stromboli with egg wash. Bake until nearly completely golden brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle each stromboli with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 10Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Stromboli
Serving Size: 1 (2257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 926.6
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 166.3 mg
- Sodium 2700.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 54.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: