Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Emeril Lagasse's recipe for home made Stromboli.
Make and share this Stromboli recipe from Food.com.
For the dough
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced seeded and stemmed jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb sliced ham
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced pepperoni or 1⁄4 lb salami
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 cups grated provolone cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- To make the Stromboli:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned and the fat is rendered, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until very soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Punch down the dough and divide half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches. Spread half of the cooled sausage mixture across the dough leaving a 1-inch border. Overlapping slightly, layer half of the ham, pepperoni, olives, provolone and mozzarella cheeses over the top. Using a pastry brush, paint the border of 1 long edge with egg wash. Starting at the opposite long end without egg wash, roll up the dough into a cylinder, pinching the edges to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining ingredients. Let the dough rise, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Brush the top of each stromboli with egg wash. Bake until nearly completely golden brown and starting to crisp, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle each stromboli with Parmesan cheese and return to the oven until the cheese is melted and the dough is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes. Slice thickly and serve.
This is an AMAZING recipe, easy to follow and wonderful full flavors. I followed the directions for making until it came to shaping. Instead of seperating and making individual rolls - I made one large one rolled out and when completed sliced into individual serving slices with pizza sauce on the side for dunking. YUM!!! It makes plenty and looks so impressive. Didn't even need to serve anything else with it as it has it all. I'll be using this one for company also - thanks so much for posting and I'm thrilled to be the first to review, feel like I've discovered a real treasure
My first time making or eating Stromboli !!! It's all about the bread! This was a great recipe, the bread was delicious and browned nicely with some crunch on the outside. I used a different filling as I didn't want to make a trip to the store: Pepperoni, Mild Italian Sausage, Black Olives, Jalepeno and Green Peppers, Muenster, Pamesean and Cheddar Cheeses, ripe tomato, Onion and Garlic. After the initial 20 minutes in the oven, I added more Pamesean Cheese, Sesame Seeds and fresh Oregano to the top of the bread and slid the Stromboli back into the oven for 5 more minutes. I served marinara sauce on the side for dipping. We will DEFINATELY be making this again.