Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My friend Lois, who is one heck of a cook, shared this receipe with me. I have changed it slightly and make it different ways every time. Great for a quick dinner, served with home fies, or just a salad. Good enough to serve company, just make extra!
- 1 package French bread dough
- onion, chopped (amount - your preference)
- shredded cheese (I usually use a mixture of at least two of the following: Mozzarella, swiss, provolone, cheddar)
- thinly sliced ham (I have used both deli and pre packaged meats) or thinly sliced chicken (I have used both deli and pre packaged meats) or thinly sliced turkey ( I have used both deli and pre packaged meats) or thinly sliced pepperoni (I have used both deli and pre packaged meats)
- 2 -3 slices cooked bacon (Maybe even try mushrooms or chopped green peppers)
- Open package of french bread dough.
- Unroll the bread and press out into a rectangle on cookie sheet.
- Loosen dough from cookie sheet (Makes it easier to roll up later) Sprinkle chopped onion over dough.
- Add a layer of meat, add layer of bacon (I have cooked turkey bacon in the microwave and it's worked perfectly), add layer of cheese, add layer of meat, add layer of cheese.
- Throw in a layer of mushrooms or peppers if you want.
- Turn the cookie sheet length-wise in front of you.
- Start to roll the dough away from you.
- Turn the seam side down, tuck in the ends.
- Make small slices all across the top.
- Bake in oven about 25 minutes at 350.
- or until golden brown.
- I have made this with cresent rolls and it works well, we just prefer the french bread taste.
- Reheats nicely, oh and the more cheese you use the better!
I made this recipe for my husband's birthday and it was great! It is definately a do-over. I did find it hard to roll the dough by myself after all of the ingredients were on it. My oven was only set at 325 degrees and the stromboli was baked to a golden brown in 15 minutes.
A big hit with the family. I made several different kinds, by using traditional pizza ingredients - Italian sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions. I also made a veggie stromboli, using spinach. I added marinara sauce as a topping. This will be added to my list of regulars.