Adapted from Company's Coming Make Ahead Meals by J. Pare.
Make and share this Stroganoff Sauce for Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Add mushroom and onions and sauté until soft.
- Stir in flour and water.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes, until slightly thickened, stirring often.
- Add meatballs and simmer until heated through.
- To freeze: Double or triple sauce and divide into 3 cup containers or freezer bags. Label and freeze for up to 3 months; Defrost in fridge overnight or in microwave; add cooked meatballs and cook or bake until heated through.
I needed a sauce for frozen meatballs, and I'm glad I tried this one! I added a splash of worcestershire sauce. I got a little lazy, so instead of cooking noodles in a separate pot, I dropped them into the sauce pot...sort of a 'meatball helper' shortcut! So, instead of adding more flour, the pasta thickened the sauce to the right consistency for our taste. (oh - I thawed the meatballs first!)
I had meatballs in the freezer and I was looking for a quick sauce - Glad I spotted yours - delicious. I used 1 cup of 2% cottage cheese, whipped, instead of the sour cream. Served with boiled potatoes, corn & baby carrots - Lovely meal thanks Pamela
Yummy! I made this for lunch today and myself, my friend and my son scarfed it down. I used about 3 tablespoons of flour as well. It thickens as it stands. Thanks Pamela and hope you like the pics:)