Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a favourite in my family, easy to put together and especially loved by children. I make it a least once every two weeks.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (10 ounce) can consomme (undiluted)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Meat Balls: Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix well and roll into balls of desired size.
- Place on edged cookie sheet and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, drain and set aside.
- Sauce: Brown onion in butter, add flour, mix well.
- Add ketchup and consommé, cooking slowly until thickened.
- Add sour cream, then meat balls.
- Place in casserole and heat in 300°F oven until serving time.
- Serve over broad egg noodles or rice.
- *I usually don't add the full cup of sour cream, but just add a bit at a time until I think it is right for me.
I made this tonight for dinner, and it was a big hit. Since we keep kosher, I did have to substitute the milk with soy milk,the butter with margarine, and the sour cream with tofu "sour cream", but it did not appear to compromise on the taste whatsoever. I served it over egg noodles, as suggested, with baby peas. My husband actually asked if he could have the leftovers tomorrow night, and this from a man who simply abhores leftovers!!! Thank you for this great recipe!!
These were so great! We really enjoyed them. I served them over some white rice and come corn. I only used 1 lb. of beef, added 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 or 3 tbls of fresh chopped parsley, and 3 chopped green onions to the meatballs. I will certainly be making these again. Thanks so much for the great recipe!!
Delish! The sauce is outstanding, it compliments the mellow meatballs perfectly. I think I will be making this often.