Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I invented this for Dave when he told me that stroganoff was his favourite food. It was the meal I served the first night in our new apartment along with a lemon merainge pie.I say always bait a man-trap with his favourite foods :)note the mushrooms were made seperate for me as he is not overly fond of mushrooms yet.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml water
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 453.59 g sirloin tip steak, grilling quality fat on sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 283.49 g beef stock
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml unbleached flour
- 3-4 portabella mushrooms
- 14.79 ml butter
- 55 g broad egg noodles
- Cook noodles in a large pot according to package directions.
- Melt butter in large skillet and add the onions and water.
- sprinkle with salt an sugar
- saute over med-high heat until water has evaporated and onions have carmelized.
- Add the steak, garlic, and pepper, Saute for about 3 to 5 minutes longer,
- mushrooms can also be added if you are not cooking them seperately (directions below).
- add worchestershire sauce and red wine and beef stalk, cook until liquids are reduced by half.
- reduce to simmer.
- mix flour and sourcream.
- remove pan from burner and stir in sourcream mixture.
- return to burner and simmer until thickened.
- Seperate mushroom directions.
- saute sliced mushrooms in 1 tablespoon melted butter add some of the sauce above .
- serve over noodles.
Made this for supper on Saturday night, a family dinner with my sons 'inlaws'. Everyone loved it, not a scrap left for DHs lunch the next day, to his great disappointment! it was very easy to prepare, smelled wonderful, and as I say, very well-received! I served it with a potato bake and assorted vegetables. Thanks alleycat, for a wonderful recipe, made for PAC Spring 2008