Prep 1 hr
Cook 55 mins
This is an "oldie" from the Jell-o box years ago. Still a favorite & great in the summer. The combos are endless. Have fun & enjoy! Cook time includes chill time
- 1 (18 ounce) package cake mix (2 layer size vanilla or flavor of your choice)
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) boxes Jell-O pudding mix (not instant, complimentary flavor for your cake choice, i.e. chocolate with the vanilla cake, my cho)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Make cake as directed using 9x13-inch pan.
- When you remove from oven, immediately poke holes in cake about 1 inch apart with handle of wooden spoon; set cake aside.
- In medium saucepan combine sugar & pudding mix; gently whisk in milk, add butter.
- Cook stirring constantly over medium heat till mixture comes to a full boil.
- Pour evenly and slowly over entire cake-allowing it to run into holes and it will level off "frosting" the cake also.
- Chill at least 2 hours; serve topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
- Store cake in fridge.
This cake is DIVINE!!! I used french vanilla cake mix because that's what I had, and chocolate pudding. Excellent for summertime because it is so cool and creamy. I can't wait to experiment with different cakes and puddings! Thanks!! ~Manda
This is a wonderful cake. I remember when they used to advertise it on TV. Hadn't thought about it in years. Thanks for the reminder. Love the yellow cake with chocolate pudding combination! Should try chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and add a dash of mint flavoring - Yummy! Next time, I will. Thanks for posting it.
The cake was easy...and my family enjoyed it. I found the pudding never really did come to a full boil, but it was thick and bubbling so I considered it cooked and it worked.