Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sourced from:"The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals"
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 beef loin strip steak, cut about 3/4-inch thick, trimmed of all fat
- 1-2 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2.46 ml cracked black pepper
- 8-10 thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml low sodium beef broth
- 14.79 ml dry white wine
- 1.23 ml Dijon mustard
- Rub steak on both sides with a mixture of garlic and pepper.
- Place asparagus in shallow dish and drizzle with oil.
- For sauce, in a medium skillet stir together broth and wine.
- Cook over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced in volume to 1/4 cup.
- Whisk in mustard.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spray an unheated broiler pan with cooking spray and place steak on it. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare or 10 to 12 minutes for medium, turning once and place asparagus into the pan next to the steak for the last two minutes of broiling.
- Spoon sauce onto a plate.
- Cut steak in half crosswise and place atop sauce.
- Top with asparagus spears.
Followed this exactly, however, I did not cut up the steak, I just let DH devour the steak and asparagus as such. And I grilled mine outside. That's it! All the rest stayed exactly the same. Yum the mustard sauce is one of the yummiest creations that I have tasted! It marries perfectly to the asparagus and the steak. I chose the grill to prepare both the steak and asparagus and enjoy both immensely. Oh boy, easy to make too! Lovely, and will make again more often. Made for Everyday is a Holiday! May 2009
We enjoyed this recipe! I omitted the dry white wine cause we didn't have any on hand but it didn't affect this recipe any cause it was delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was really easy, really quick and very tasty. I made it after work and had a delicious meal off it. I recommend it and will do it again. Thank you!